If you have a soft stomach, I suggest you leave—now. If not, I have news that may be beneficial to your health. For a while, I’ve followed an event so scary, so shocking, and so exciting; I couldn’t let it go much longer without including it in my Monday Mayhem series.
Some of you already know what I’m talking about based on the title for this post. Some of you have participated in the event and loved it. Some—have screamed in horror. What is it?
I’m talking about the annual Zombie Run. This year it kicked off for the first time in Philadelphia, PA. It will tour sixteen cities and promises to scare the crap out of anyone within the city limits. Okay, so maybe I’m using lots of hyperbole, but y’all get what I’m saying, right?
How does it work?
Actors dressed as zombies chase participants in a 5K (3.1 mile) run or sorts. The entire course will feature thematic elements of a zombie apocalypse (helicopters, flipped cars, fog machines, etc.). Boyhood buddies and race organizers Andrew Hudis and David Feinman came up with the idea when Hudis told Feinman he runs fastest when being chased. From there the idea took off (pun intended). Participants have a balloon pinned to their back and the object of the run is for the zombies to break the balloon.
Make no mistake. There will be running. There will be screaming. It’s a 5K haunted house run with onsite makeup artists. How cool is that? Once it’s over, it’s not over. The after party ensues to celebrate the event’s success.
The best part: proceeds will go to Active Heroes, a charity that aids veterans, active duty military, and families. A portion will also go to host city local charities. This is a fun and exciting way to give back to those who fight for freedom, and to the local community.
Here is a list of confirmed host cities participating in this year’s event:
- Philadelphia Zombie Run – Sunday, April 7, 2013 at FDR Park. Start time is 8:00 AM.
- Louisville Zombie Run – Sunday, April 21, 2013 at Iroquois Park. Start time is 12:30 PM.
- Charlotte Zombie Run – Sunday, May 19, 2013 at Freedom Park. Start time is 12:30 PM.
- Atlanta Zombie Run – Saturday, June 8th, 2013 at the Atlanta Motor Speedway. Start time is 10:00 AM.
- New Orleans Zombie Run – Sunday, June 23, 2013 at New Orleans City Park. Start time is 9:00 AM.
- St. Louis Zombie Run – Sunday, July 14, 2013 at Queeny Park. Start time is 11:00 AM.
- Denver Zombie Run – Sunday, July 28, 2013 at City Park. Start time is 9:00 AM.
- Seattle Zombie Run – Saturday, August 17, 2013 at Magnuson Park. Start time is 11:00 AM.
- Indianapolis Zombie Run – Sunday, October 6th, 2013 at White River State Park. Start time is 11:00 AM.
- Miami Zombie Run – Saturday, October 12, 2013 at Historic Virginia Key Beach Park. Start time is 6:00 PM.
- Nashville Zombie Run – Sunday, September 29th, 2013 at Shelby Bottoms Park. Start time is 7:30 AM.
Are you planning to participate in this year’s zombie runs? What do you find most exciting about the event?