Princess Leia

Erupting from the screen for the very first time, Princess Leia Organa confronted the evil Darth Vader head on. With a determined resolve, she fights to the last until captured. Women Who Wow Wednesday wouldn’t be the same if I’d never written about the courageous Star Wars damsel.

Princess Leia Organa

Princess Leia Organa

I love Princess Leia. She was one of my first boyhood infatuations growing up. I don’t think any of us guys sat still watching Return of the Jedi at the theater. Who other than Princess Leia could have slaughtered the vile Jabba the Hutt in their bikini? It was every teenage boy’s dream.

Born to Padmé Amidala at Polis Massa, twins Leia and Luke went their separate ways, not by choice, but from fear. Jedi Masters Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda thought it would have been better to keep the children away from their father Anakin Skywalker. The torn Jedi Knight, corrupted by hatred, turned to the dark side of the force and became the feared Sith Lord Darth Vader of the newly-declared Galactic Empire.

Princess Leia

Princess Leia

When Darth Vader captures the beautiful princess on the ship Tantive IV, he has her tortured in an attempt to have her reveal the location of the secret technical plans of the empire’s newest weapon, the Death Star. The brave princess does not succumb to the Sith Lord’s interrogation methods. But when Grand Moff Tarkin, the Death Star’s commander, threatens to destroy her home planet Alderaan, she lies, still revealing nothing to the insidious members of the empire.

Remaining steadfast, Princess Leia shows little weakness other than her precipitous romance with gunslinger Han Solo. Even then, her emotional fortitude continues beyond the destruction of the Death Star. How does this princess of justice come to kill one of the most powerful Hutt gangsters in the galaxy?

On the planet Tatooine, the villainous Jabba the Hutt holds Leia’s Hans Solo captive in carbonite. In a strategic bid to rescue him, she poses as an Ubese bounty hunter named Boushh. Her offer: Chewbacca the wookiee for Hans Solo—while she holds a thermal detonator. Amused, Jabba let’s her stay the night as her guest. He later discovers Leia’s true identity and captures her, fits her with a chain around her neck and a metal bikini around her body. It isn’t until Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker rescues them that Princess Leia seizes the moment and strangles Jabba with the very chain he had bound her.

Unwavering in her beliefs, strong in her convictions, Princess Leia Organa stands against injustice against those who take it upon themselves to wish their will on others. She is a true Star Wars hero.

What do you like about Pricess Leia? Did you ever see Star Wars in the theater?

24 Comments

1. My very first PG movie was Star Wars. Okay, I’ve dated myself, but who cares! Now I’m married to a Star Wars fanatic, he’s even built his own R2D2, which is more sophisticated than the original in the movie; after all, his moves on its own (well, by remote control), makes all the noises, and everything. But I still won’t dress like Princess Leia for him. 😉

2. The love-hate relationship between her and Han was great, she was very feisty in those films. But it in the first film it almost seemed that she was going to be Luke’s love interest, which would have been awkward when they found out the truth 🙂

• Remember when Leia kissed Luke in front of Solo? It was right after Solo had rescued him from that maneating beast. He had one of the smuggest looks. I laugh whenever I see it knowing the truth!

3. Waited forever in line to see IV. And Princess Leia was HOT.

4. I loved that she was gorgeous, snarky, and bossed all the fellas around. STill my fav heroine.

5. Princess Leia (and her cinnamon bun hair) was a big heroine for me growing up. However I will admit the Ewoks and their fuzzy cuteness was my favorite second to R2. Perhaps I just wasn’t girly enough to appreciate her as much as other characters, but her presence in the movies was fantastic!

6. Nice post! No matter how many Star Wars movies are released (EP 1, 2 and 3, the planned 7, 8 and 9), EP 4, 5 and 6 will always be my fave. And speaking of fave, the terrific trio of Hammill, Fisher and Ford get me vote any day (including Sunday).

7. I saw the real original first Star Wars one rainy afternoon in a dreary English seaside town but when I left the cinema, I found myself in a galaxy far, far away with only Luke and Leia for company… Those were the days!

8. sally1137

/  April 3, 2013

I’m old. I saw Star Wars in the theater in 1977, before it was the mega-franchise it is today. Even kids could tell this was gonna be big.

So yeah, I’ve wanted to be Princess Leia for the past 36 years. With occasional bouts of Lara Croft.

9. Serenity

/  April 3, 2013

Hey Jack. I did not see the originally three in theatres, but I was one of the crazy ones who stood in line for the first two new ones for tickets AND the midnight showings when I was in high school. Something to tell the kids, you know, and to write in the book, you know LOL.
    Nice post! One of my favorite series! A great series for generations to come!

10. Catherine Johnson

/  April 3, 2013

I love Princess Leia! She is beautiful and feisty. What a great tribute to her :0)

11. I was too young for sci fi, a bit too much of a girly girl! My husband saw it in the cinema though, I’m sure Princess Leia was his first crush!!!

12. I just love your women who wow Wednesdays! I’ve always love Princess Leia, but you’re the first person to see her worth.She’s usually thought of as a comical second character. Good post, Jack

• Thanks! I’ve had her post on the back burner for a while but never really knew how to approach her. One of my very first drafts came out too techie with Carrie Fisher as the main focus. I didn’t like it, so I chucked it. Then tried it as an ensemble piece (Solo, Skywalker, Organa). Again, it wasn’t what I’d hoped for. The final version is all Leia–this is the version I’m most proud of!

13. I was too young to see the originals in the theater, but I did see the re-releases way back in the 90’s. My friends and I actually had permission to cut school for one of the movies as long as we showed up to first period and brought our homeroom teacher back a souvenir.
    Hard to choose just one thing about Leia that was amazing. She’s the first non-animated female character that I ever saw who wasn’t a damsel in distress or part of the scenery. I think she really set the standard for the strong female in movies. Not just the ability to mentally keep up or overshadow a male character, but she was physically competent. More shooting than screaming. Actually, I think Han Solo screamed more than she did over the course of the entire trilogy.

14. Ahhh! Princess Leia makes the WWWW cut! I used to wear my hair in buns on the sides like she did. I was her for Halloween (umm, two years ago…) and I remember standing on a line that wound around the outside of the theater to see Empire. Now I get to relive it all with the kids.

15. Leia is a fantastic heroine. I saw the Star Wars IV in the theaters three times, back when I was in elementary school. lol I was enthralled.

Leia was smart, which I appreciated even as a preteen. Her accent was atrocious, but her delivery still worked for me. Weird, but true. She rocked the Princess Gear as well as the Battle Fatigues (a la Star Wars) and made every look and attitude seem an integral part of who she was.

And…okay…I was totally jealous that she got Han Solo. *sighs* But I guess he was too old for me then, anyway.

16. Crazy Goblin

/  April 3, 2013

Princess Leia deserves a special place in Women Who Wow Wednesday. I am also first to admit I couldn’t sit still when watched Return of the Jedi for the first time as a kid 😉

17. Thank you so much for your gracious mention. It was very kind of you!

18. You’re welcome!